«Liberated Europe (British intervention)»



Hansard 1803-2005, Liberated Europe (British intervention), HC Deb 08 December 1944, vol 406, cc 908-1013
===

11.6 a.m.

Mr. Cocks (Broxtowe) I beg to move, at the end of the Question, to add: But humbly regret that the Gracious Speech contains no assurance that His Majesty's Forces will not be used to disarm the friends of democracy in Greece and other parts of Europe, or to suppress those popular movements which have valorously assisted in the defeat of the enemy and upon whose success we must rely for future friendly co-operation in Europe. I move this Amendment with feelings of responsibility, anxiety and grief. To-day, on the sacred soil of Athens, in the shadow of the Acropolis, British soldiers and Greek patriots lie dead side by side, each with an Allied bullet in his heart, and I ask the Government to put an end immediately to this fratricidal strife. Before I sit down I shall repeat this request with more formality and detail, but I thought it right to open this Debate with that appeal.
[…]

Ολόκληρη η συζήτηση εδώ